Serves 6 to 8
Ingredients for your tasty dish:
1 (18-ounce, 8-inch round) loaf rustic bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 10 cups)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
2 large yellow onions, about 1 pound, diced
4 large stalks celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh sage leaves
Leaves from 4 stalks fresh thyme
2 large eggs, beaten
2 cups turkey, chicken, or vegetable stock
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Make sure to have these on hand:
3-quart baking dish
Large baking sheet
Instructions - the most important part
- Dry the bread: Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 225°F. Spread the bread cubes on a large baking sheet in an even layer and bake until quite crisp, stirring every half hour, about 90 minutes total. After removing the bread from the oven, turn up the oven temperature to 375°F.
- Cook, the onion, celery, and garlic until tender: Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or the vegetables are very soft.
- Add the herbs: Stir in the sage and thyme and cook for 2 more minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Mix the toasted bread cubes with the onion mixture: In a large bowl, fold together the toasted bread cubes with the cooked onions and celery.
- Beat the eggs and broth, and mix in: Beat the eggs in a medium bowl with the broth, salt, and a generous quantity of fresh black pepper. Pour in the bowl and stir into the bread.
- Put into baking dish and top with more butter: Spread in a lightly greased 3-quart baking dish. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and drizzle over the top.
- Cover and bake: Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake covered for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the top is golden-brown.
- Rest before serving: Cool the dressing for 10 minutes before serving.
Plan ahead tip:
- Make ahead: The dressing can be completely assembled and refrigerated overnight or up to 24 hours. When ready to bake, arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 375°F. Bake covered for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 15 more minutes or until top is lightly browned. If you are baking the dressing directly from the refrigerator, expect to add 10 extra minutes baking time. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Have a wonderful & joyful Thanksgiving!